Monday, April 19, 2010

Worship and John 13

Ernst-August Gutt and John 13
Recently, I was pondering John 13:30: "As soon as Judas had taken the bread he went out. And it was night."  That last sentence - ἦν δὲ νύξ, 'And it was night'- communicated much more than just the time of day.

According to Dr. Gutt, we can infer several things in context:
  • Judas was leaving the presence of Jesus, the Light of the world (John 3:19)
  • It was night not only around Judas, but also in his heart
  • It is dangerous to walk in the night (John 12:35), to destruction
  • With Judas' departure, night had also fallen on the work of Jesus, as He predicted (John 9:4; 12:35)
Worship
Gutt wrote, "I think I spent more than half an hour pondering those three words, and did not exhaust their intrepretation but kept on discovering new, exciting insights." (p. 54). 

In other words: Gutt was worshipping and praising God as he studied.  And so was I, thinking about John 13 and reading a book about linguistics and relevance theory!

Related: 
Worship: Theology to Doxology

No comments:

Post a Comment