Saturday, May 1, 2010

Spurgeon on words

I am greatly encouraged to read that such a great preacher and author as Spurgeon labored under the task of writing:

"Writing is to me the work of a slave. It is a delight...to talk out my thoughts in words that flash upon the mind at the instant when they are required, but it is poor drudgery to sit still, and groan for thoughts and words without...obtaining them. Well may a man's books be called his 'works,' for if every mind were constituted as mine is, it would be work indeed to produce a quarto volume." as cited in Spurgeon, 191.

I also came across a portion from the beautiful, biblically-rich hymn that Spurgeon penned (in great pain) for a little service just before he died on January 31, 1892.  How fitting were these words to close his active ministry to the church!

The sands of time are sinking,
The dawn of heaven breaks,
The summer morn I've sighed for,
The fair sweet morn awakes,
Dark, dark hath been the midnight,
But dayspring is at hand,
And glory, glory dwelleth
In Immanuel's land.

O Christ! He is the fountain,
The deep sweet well of love;
The streams on earth I've tasted,
More deep I'll drink above:
There to an ocean fullness
His mercy doth expand,
And glory, glory dwelleth
In Immanuel's land.

Related posts:
Spurgeon and Heinz
Spurgeon and 'Sleeping In'

No comments:

Post a Comment