Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Kilby: How to Wield the World in the Fight for Joy

John Piper in one of his books commended a lecture with 11 resolutions that Wheaton professor Clyde Kilby gave in Minneapolis years ago, resolutions to help us marvel at our God and Savior who made the universe:
  1. At least once every day I shall look steadily up at the sky and remember that I, a consciousness with a conscience, am on a planet traveling in space with wonderfully mysterious things above me and about me
  2. I shall suppose the universe guided by an Intelligence which, as Aristotle said of Greek drama, requires a beginning, a middle, and an end
  3. I shall not fall into the falsehood that this day, or any day, is merely another ambiguous and plodding twenty-four hours, but rather a unique even filled, if I so wish, with worthy potentialities
  4. I shall not turn my life into a thin straight line which prefers abstractions to reality
  5. I shall not demean my own uniquesness by envy of others...Mostly I shall simply forget about myself and do my work 
  6. I shall open my eyes and ears. Once every day I shall simply stare at a tree, a flower, a cloud, or a person. I shall not be concerned at all to ask what they are but simply be glad that they are
  7. I shall sometimes look back at the freshness of vision I had in childhood and try to be a "child of...dreaming eyes of wonder"
  8. I shall follow Darwin's advice [ironically] and turn frequently to imaginative things such as good literature and good music
  9. I shall try to live well just now because the only time that exists is just now
  10. I shall assume my ancestry to be from the heavens rather than from the caves
  11. I shall bet my life in the assumption that this world is not idiotic, neither run by an absentee landlord, but that today, this very day, some stroke is being added to the cosmic canvas that in due course I shall understand with joy as a stroke made by the architect who calls Himself Alpha and Omega 

No comments:

Post a Comment