Often, prophecy was not meant to have one literal fulfillment but two. Consider God's word to David:
I will raise up your offspring to succeed you...I will be his father and he shall be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with the rod of men, with floggings inflicted by men. But my love will never be taken away from him...Your house and your kingdom shall endure for ever before me. (2 Samuel 7:12-16)
Vaughan Roberts comments:
One promise does not seem to fit with the others: 'When he does wrong, I will punish him.' That suggests a normal human being, whereas the others suggest someone much greater. How can we hold these two sides together? The answer is that, like many Old Testament prophecies, this prophecy is fulfilled at more than one level...[1] It is partially fulfilled by the great king Solomon, who was to build the temple. But [2] it is finally fulfilled only by the Lord Jesus, 'great David's greater son', the one whose reign puts Solomon's into the shadows (see Luke 11:31).
No comments:
Post a Comment