Saturday, May 22, 2010

Cape Wind: America's First Offshore Wind Farm

An ambitious and monumental project, America's first offshore wind farm was approved last month, for Cape Cod, MA.

Cape Wind: 130 turbines each 40 stories tall, covering a total of 25 square miles to provide 75% of the power for Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket.
My reaction: 1) We are to be under-stewards of God's creation, subduing and ruling it (Gen. 1:28); 2) I would lament the loss of some beautiful views of nature that Elizabeth and I enjoyed while we lived on the East Coast; but 3) I would rejoice at the net gain of 'green energy' made by employing the wind (as long as the turbines are not themselves destroying the environment).

Countries like the UK already have offshore wind farms, so the USA is not doing something novel here.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment