3 Languages at Genesis 17-22 Workshop
Today was the last day of the 2-week long translation course on Genesis 17-22 for the Matal, Hdi and Muyang languages. The teams worked hard and did good work.
While I worked in assisting to verify some of the Hdi and Muyang translations, the consultant worked with the Matal, being always ready to help the other 3 additional language groups that were scheduled to come but in the end did not attend.
Sorry, no pictures for the moment, since I don't have access to my camera's data transfer cable.
Workshopping Genesis 21
Have many anecdotes to share, but I will content myself with sharing one for now.
One of the more difficult texts to translate was Genesis 21:25:
Well, this whole idea of seizing, which we discussed it earlier this week, was repeatedly discussed by the translators to the point where today one of the translators said, with a twinkle in his eye as he alluded to this passage, "The other day, I went to the market with my cell phone, and someone seized it. I have not seen it since."
Today was the last day of the 2-week long translation course on Genesis 17-22 for the Matal, Hdi and Muyang languages. The teams worked hard and did good work.
While I worked in assisting to verify some of the Hdi and Muyang translations, the consultant worked with the Matal, being always ready to help the other 3 additional language groups that were scheduled to come but in the end did not attend.
Sorry, no pictures for the moment, since I don't have access to my camera's data transfer cable.
Workshopping Genesis 21
Have many anecdotes to share, but I will content myself with sharing one for now.
One of the more difficult texts to translate was Genesis 21:25:
And Abraham reproved Abimelech about a well of water that Abimelech's servants had seized.A few problems presented themselves for translation, for example: the meaning of the verb "reproved" in the original context, and translating in the respective language "seizing" an impersonal, immovable object. The word "seize" in at least two of the languages is commonly used for objects that are portable, but not for immovable wells, requiring another, similar verb in the translation. (By the way, these same languages also had difficulties with verses like Genesis 22:2 "Take your son" since their verb for "take" can only be used for objects and not for people.)
Well, this whole idea of seizing, which we discussed it earlier this week, was repeatedly discussed by the translators to the point where today one of the translators said, with a twinkle in his eye as he alluded to this passage, "The other day, I went to the market with my cell phone, and someone seized it. I have not seen it since."
No comments:
Post a Comment