Several translation projects in India are now publishing the New Testament and moving on to translating the Old Testament. So, our colleagues in India asked for training in Hebrew, the OT, etc.
Stats for the Online Workshop
The original plan to have the in-person workshop on Hebrew poetry in India was scrapped due to coronavirus, but the director of workshop moved it online. Two consultants and I recorded lectures with our powerpoint presentations using Zoom. We shared those recordings with the participants to view at their own pace ahead of two weeks of Zoom meetings at the end of July. Here are some of the stats for this workshop:
- 26 lessons recorded and assignment sheets prepared in advance of the 2-week workshop in July by us 3 translation consultants (each of us consultants gave each other feedback on the presentations, but I was responsible for 7 sessions)
- Topics covered included theory (genre, parallelism, sounds, masoretic accents, textual criticism, and more) and detailed discussion on translating 9 specific poems (Exodus 15; Psalms 1, 2, 23, 54, 67, 131, 150; and Isaiah 5:1-8).
- 33 participants located in their own homes due to the lockdown in India (translation consultants and a few mother tongue translators)
- 10 mornings of 2-hour-long Zoom meetings to briefly review the lessons and discuss targeted questions using breakout groups (Central Time in the USA is 10 1/2 hours behind India time!)
- For a condensed application of many of the topics we covered, see the upcoming blog post of the poem "India In Dia-logue" I wrote for the closing ceremony of the virtual workshop.
I never saw chiasm or other Hebrew poetic features, but I see them after this workshop. This virtual setting made it possible to do that. This virtual workshop idea is going to be a pace setter, because we can come back to the lectures and presentations. Maybe there will be a revolution. Because of corona, I think this is going to be a pacesetter in the coming days.
No comments:
Post a Comment